Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Italian Sausage and Red Wine Risotto

This has become one of my favorite dishes - it is super cozy and yummy but also great to entertain with as well.  My friend Reeves' sister-in-law is Italian and taught us this dish.  I've made it so many times now that I'm sure I've improvised some on the recipe so forgive me, Kristen, if this isn't exact!  I really like this because it is a go to staple because you can keep most of the stuff on hand - I usually just keep some Italian sausage in the freezer and have the rest of the items in the pantry or fridge because I use them often for lots of recipes.

Italian Sausage and Red Wine Risotto

Ingredients
1 pound hot Italian sausage (you can use mild if you prefer)
1 cup arborio (risotto) rice
approximately 5-6 cups of chicken broth (I use about 1 box)
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 red onion (I substitute white or yellow if I don't have red on hand)
salt and pepper to taste
splash of olive oil

Sautee onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter and olive oil until transluscent.


Add sausage and crumble and brown.  Make sure you have cooked through.


Add rice and sautee for about 1 minute.  


Add wine and let it absorb completely.


Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir.  Add broth cup by cup, letting it absorb completely before you add the next cup.


After rice is cooked through, add the parsley, half of the cheese and remaining butter.  Stir.


Serve immediately with extra cheese sprinkled on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...