Friday, December 31, 2010

Before and After: Octagonal Mirror

I made a trip to Goodwill the other day to donate some old clothes and a vast array of old VHS movies.  It was hard to part with those - I've had them for years and some of those movies I haven't seen in years.  But seeing as how I don't even own a VHS player anymore, I finally forced myself to part with them.  I digress.

So, after I dropped off my donations, I decided to take a spin through the store.  I'm so glad I did!

One thing I bought was this mirror:


It is made out of a funky material that I can't quite figure out what it is.  It feels very 1960's or 70's but I can't put my finger on it.  Does that make sense what I mean about feeling like the 60's?  Or maybe it was just the horrible gaudy dirty bronze that it was.  Regardless, I was a fan of the shape and of the detail of the frame:



For $7.99 I figured it was a must have.

So, I started by priming it.  



My natural inclination would be to leave it white but I decided to go a little out of my comfort zone to spice things up a bit.  High gloss red!  Can't get enough of that high gloss paint effect lately.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.


I've put it in my guest room for now but am considering selling it.  It would look awesome in an entry way over a console - our house is just too small!




I got this cute plant at Home Depot the other day for two bucks.  I had a little terracotta pot and used up the rest of my high gloss red paint to spice the spot up a bit.  I love the little splash of color and the bright green of the plant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...