Friday, August 13, 2010

This took some serious patience.

I finally finished a needlepoint stocking for my husband.  It has taken nearly a year to complete but I am super happy with how it looks.  I've decided to hold off showing it to him until Christmas (unless of course, I catch him reading my blog and then I'll give it up!). 
Needlepointing aside from being a fun hobby is something that my mom taught me to do.  It makes me still feel close to her.  She needlepointed my stocking and so I've now made one for Jack and I intend to make them for our children as well.  In the meantime, I guess I could work on one for the pup.

Here it is from the front:


Closer up of the details...you can't really tell from the pictures but all of the lights on the tree and on the strings on the sails are done in metallic that I stitched in mini stars so not only do they sparkle a little but they are raised up to add texture.




Jack actually came up with the concept for the material to finish the back of the stocking.  I was originally thinking of doing something more traditionally Christmas-y but he wanted to keep; with the nautical theme.  Originally he was obsessed with having actual sail material on the back but I convinced him that this was a more affordable and rational way to go.  I love how the blue and white alternates around the outside of the stocking.


And the view from the back. 


How many more days til Christmas?

3 comments:

  1. Um, wow! It looks so good. You continue to surprise me with your crafty talents. I can't wait for you to learn how to sew. You're going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just gorgrous! Well done :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...