Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Supper: Braised Short Ribs


I felt oh so very Julia Childs with this dish tonight.  WARNING: this is NOT a quick weeknight supper.  But man oh man, is it deeeeelish.  Jack said it was the best thing I've ever made.  I can't really take credit.  I used Anne Burrell's recipe from the Food Network. 

Here are some of the highlights of the process since you can get the recipe directly from the Food Network:

I started the process this morning by using this awesome food processor my friend Leslie gave me.  I pureed carrots, onion, garlic and celery and then refrigerated it until later. 



This afternoon I got out the beautiful short ribs that we got on sale at Harris Teeter.  I also pulled fresh thyme from the garden and made a little thyme bundle for the dish.


I browned the short ribs in olive oil and removed and drained the fat.


I cooked down the pureed vegetables in olive oil and added tomato paste and then deglazed the pot with red wine.


I added the spare ribs back in and covered with water to the top of the meat.  I added bay leaves and the fresh thyme bundle.


It cooks for about 3 hours at 375 degrees, covered up.  Half way through you remove the lid, turn the ribs and then return to heat.

Here they are just finished and out of the oven:


And on the plate with lesueur peas and homemade mashed potatoes (two of my favorite sides!)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...