Monday, February 22, 2010

Que Syrah Syrah


Okay, so this wine I'm getting ready to write about isn't Syrah but I read that pun recently in this Wine Humor book my brother gave me for Christmas and have been waiting to use it.

Anywho, after a lovely weekend in Raleigh for Reeves' baby shower, we headed to Mt. Airy, NC (also fondly referred to as Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show) to visit my grandmother, MawMaw. She turned 90 this year and is an amazing woman.

There's not a whole lot going on in Mt. Airy but one of our favorite stomping grounds is the Old North State Winery on Main Street. They make this wine called Restless Soul that is great - and the price is right, too. 10 bucks.

In addition to it just being good wine, the story is pretty good too. The Old North State Winery is now situated in what used to be a hardware store. According to legend when they were renovating the old, condemned hardware store to turn it into what is now the winery and bistro, they found the bones of a human arm in the plaster of one of the arms. That poor restless soul supposedly still haunts that building...

They sell it more readily in North Carolina than they do VA and DC so if you see it at the Teeter or somewhere, I recommend you pick up a bottle. You can also order it online. And if you're ever in the greater Mt. Airy area (ha!) check this place out.

1 comment:

  1. That's my friend Ashley's family winery!! I am going to send her this link.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...