Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

At book wine club last week my friend Lane made this slow cooker chicken chili recipe.  I loved it. 

I told the hubs about it and he immediately poo-pooed it because it had ground chicken in it.  He "doesn't like" ground chicken.  I was about to argue with him about the ridiculousness of his comment since chicken is chicken is chicken until I remembered that I hate pulled chicken so I just kept my mouth shut.

But since I really liked the chicken chili recipe, I decided to switch it up a little.  Here's my version of an easy weeknight inspiring crockpot chili:

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

What you'll need:
2 pounds of extra lean ground turkey
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 can kidney beans
1 can white beans
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can hot Rotel
1 Tbsp garlic powder
4 Tbsp chili powder (use more or less depending on your taste)
2 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp ground allspice
1/2 cup lager
salt and pepper to taste
What you'll do:
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.  Brown the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the lager.  Add the turkey once it is cooked through.  Let simmer on low for about 8 hours.  Add in the lager and let cook for 20 more minutes.

Serve with your favorite toppings.



PS - IT IS SNOWING HERE!!!!!!!!!!!  I love, love, love snow!

3 comments:

  1. that looks delicious! thanks for sharing, and for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have what is probably a dumb question... What is Rotel?

    I have a turkey chili recipe that I make pretty often and I'd like to mix it up and try this one. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermind, silly me.... I googled it which I should have done in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...