Thursday, July 15, 2010

Weeknight Inspiration: Pizza!

If this weren't weeknight inspiration then I might have attempted to make my own dough.  But, for the middle of the week, Trader Joe's dough from the refrigerator case will do just fine.

Obviously you can do this with any ingredients you prefer but here's what we had tonight.

The instructions are on the dough but just remember to let it get to room temperature before you start to roll it out.  I use a little bit of flour on the board and on the rolling pin to let it stick.  Trader Joe's recommends leaving it out for 20 minutes but I think ten works better because the dough doesn't get so sticky.  My opinion anyways...

Pizza Caprese
Exactly what it sounds like.  We were fortunate to have beautiful roma tomatoes from our garden and fresh basil as well so all I needed was fresh mozzarella (TJ's has really good prices on theirs compared to other stores). 

I sprinkled olive oil on the dough and then layered the fresh mozz, basil, tomatoes and then gave it a little sprinkle of salt and pepper and another little splash of olive oil.  It's that simple.


Pizza before cooking

Pizza after cooking.  YUM!

Italian Sausage Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
To make this even more of a weeknight inspiration, I caramelized the onions and cooked the Italian sausage the night before so it was all ready to go.  (If we have an easy supper the night before (ie turkey tacos) with very little clean up then I'll usually try to prep something for a night later in the week.)

I spread some olive oil on the dough once again and then topped with a thin layer of shredded mozzarella.  I topped with a layer of the sausage and onion mixture and a few grape tomatoes and goat cheese.  I added a small amount of salt and pepper.  


2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love TJ's pizza dough too but I recently found this recipe and it's amazing, super quick and doesn't have to rise: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/main-dish/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-045499

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...