Sunday, July 18, 2010

MawMaw's Butter Beans...with a few adjustments

My sweet grandmother, MawMaw, hands down makes the best butter beans you've ever had.  I have her recipe but I made a few adjustments based on things I had on hand.  She usually makes hers with Fordhook Limas which you can find year round in the freezer section.  Basically, like any good southern cook, she cooks the sh*t out of them. 

I stopped at a farmer's market and got some fresh limas.  I was doubly excited about fixing this because a) I love me some limas in the some and b) I got a new enamel pot thanks to my thoughtful mother in law.  I've been dying for one of these pots and always pictured having one in red or blue but I adore the green.  Don't you?


Butter Beans

1 pound limas (fordhook, fresh or other)
3 pieces bacon, cooked and crisped
approximately 4 cups of chicken stock
olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup of wine
salt and pepper to taste

Note: MawMaw didn't use bacon or wine in her limas but I had some of both at home so tossed it in and it was delish. 

Sautee onion in olive oil.  Once transluscent, add the bacon.  Once everything is nice and browned, deglaze the pot with the wine. 

Add the limas and the chicken stock.  Season with salt and pepper. 



Reduce heat and simmer until limas are well done (or not so much depending on your taste). 


Serve along side of something good and southern! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...