Sunday, July 25, 2010

Mid-Year Resolution: Mixing Fabrics

While overall I'd say that my taste in design airs on the traditional side, I certainly feel that I have the ability to take some risks.  One thing I have less faith in is my ability to mix and match fabrics.  I've been so inspired by images I see everywhere but have so little confidence when it comes to applying it myself.  So, my new goal is to do some serious mixin' and matchin' on my next project.  I think I'm going to focus on my bed.  I'm on the hunt for new bedside tables and new lamps and figure that is a perfect time to do a bed makeover.  Hold me to it when I come back later with some boring post about bland bedding I'm thinking of buying...

Kate Spade via Little Green Notebook

Black and Spiro store via Absolutely Beautiful Things
Speaking of Black and Spiro...did ya'll see the tutu'd desk she created?  I kind of love it.  But a discussion for another day since I'm supposed to be focusing on mixing fabrics...

Elle Decor

All kinds of color plus an animal print ottoman.  Mmmmhmmm.  Oh yeah.



Maybe something not so bright as this but I love the funkiness for a bedroom.

 
John Robshaw via HGTV.com
And love this one too. 

Three prints I never would have put together (five if you count the two additional patterns on the lamps) but somehow they work.  I'm sure I've read tricks for how to put things together like 1 solid, 1 pattern, 1 floral or something but honestly when I look at all of these images, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason but they just work.  So surely I can do it too, right?


Thoughts or tips for how to achieve these looks without it looking like you are insane?  Or do you just throw caution to the wind and go for it??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...