Saturday, November 16, 2013

Chicken and Broccoli Bake with Sherry and Mushroom Sauce

I've posted my recipe for chicken divan on the blog before.  Chicken and broccoli are a great combo to me. This recipe combines those too with a little more of a sauce.

***I am so disappointed because I took some great pics of this dish with my camera and then went to upload three days worth of pictures onto my computer and realized that the memory card was never in my camera and was still sitting in my computer.  Sooo, no pictures for this recipe.  Sorry!  But, trust me, it is worth trying!  When I make it again I will update the post with pics.

My recipe inspiration for this was taken from a recipe I saw on Pinterest for Chicken Gloria.  Instead of broccoli, it called for button mushrooms.  I don't love mushrooms but I do love the flavor they give things.  So, I subbed out broccoli for the 'shrooms and just used the cream of mushroom soup to still give it good flavor.  I also added some sauteed shallots to give some more depth of flavor.  The original recipe also called to serve it over rice.  I'm kinda lazy so I oped to cook the rice, layer it in the bottom of the casserole and then layer the chicken, broccoli and sauce on top so I could cook it all in one dish.  Do not be fooled - the end result is in one dish but I sure did dirty up some dishes getting to the end result.  But, after all was said and done, it was good.

Really good, if you ask my husband.  His quote was "this could become one of your signature dishes."  He's funny.

What You Need:
4-6 thin sliced chicken breasts
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sherry
1/2 cup milk
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
3 shallots, chopped
4-6 thin slices of muenster cheese
2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of fresh parsley
3 cups cooked whole grain rice
salt and pepper to taste

What You Do:
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.

Heat a pan with olive oil.  Dredge each chicken breast into flour and shake off excess.  Place in pan with the oil and brown.  Depending on the size of your pan, you may have to cook 2-3 pieces at a time and then cook another batch.  Remove from heat.

Layer a casserole dish with the cooked rice.  Place the cooked chicken breasts on top of the rice.

In the same pan as you cooked the chicken, melt the butter and sautee the shallots.  After about 3 minutes, add the broccoli and season with salt and pepper.  Add the sherry and let it continue to simmer.  After the sherry cooks down, add the mushroom soup and milk.

Pour the broccoli and sauce mixture over the chicken and rice.  Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Remove the foil, add a slice of muenster on to the top of each chicken breast.  Return to the oven and broil on high for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.

Top with fresh parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...