Monday, September 10, 2012

The Chas Foundation


I'm going to get a little personal with something that doesn't have anything to do with design, decorating or eating - my three topics of choice for this blog! My cousin died a little less than a year ago of mental illness. This weekend, his mother, my aunt, organized the first Annual Chas Foundation Golf Tournament to raise money for mental illness in Hampton Roads, Virginia. Over 200 friends and family members as well as local businesses supported this event.

 Mental illness is something that, whether people want to talk about it or not, affects many, many families. Mental illness is the umbrella term for diagnoses such as bi-polar, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc. It is debilitating, consuming and in some cases, like my cousins, fatal. I hope that starting this organization will not only help us to remember my cousin, Chas, who we lost far too young, but also will help raise awareness and resources for others.

 So, on what would have been Chas' 35th birthday, on a beautiful September 8th at Bide-a-wee Golf Course in Portsmouth, Virginia, we all worked hard to remember Chas and raise money for this important cause. I am proud of my family for putting this together.



My husband's team (along with my brother and cousins Scott and Sarah, pictured here) came in second overall!



The golfers stand at the ready!


My cousin Beau addresses the golfers with memories of Chas and facts about how mental illness affects so many of us.





My husband and I sponsored a hole to support the cause.




My aunt Tucker and cousin Beau.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...