Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sleigh Ride Currier and Ives

I have been listening to Christmas music since before Thanksgiving.  I know, it's a sickness of mine.  Anyway, my all time favorite song is Sleigh Ride and I always sing along and wonder about the part of the lyrics that says "It'll nearly be like a picture print from Currier and Ives."  So, I finally did something about it and looked up some picture prints from Currier and Ives...




Currier & Ives were lithographers (1834 to 1895) whose firm published approximately 7,500 images. The images were hand-drawn, printed using lithographic limestone prints, and then colored in by hand. Their prints were affordable and gave the public a glimpse into current events, idyllic scenes and the mysteries of the quickly expanding Western frontier.  




There ends my history lesson for today.

Read more about Currier and Ives and their prints here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...