Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Yogurt and Ginger Slowcooker Curried Chicken

The March issue of Real Simple had a ton of slow cooker meals.  Yay!  I love my crockpot.  And I love coming home in the evening after work to an already finished dinner even more.  So, I thought I'd give this one a go...and because I can never follow a recipe exactly, I'll give you my version of what I did.  If you want their version, get it here.


Yogurt and Ginger Slowcooker Curried Chicken
2 pounds breast tenderloins
1 elephant clove of garlic (about 4 regular cloves), chopped
6 tablespoons curry powder (we like the flavor of red curry best)
4 tablespoons cumin
1 white onion, chopped
1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
1 cup cream or half and half
dash of hot sauce
4 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (don't slice your finger like I did...)
1 small can of tomato paste
1 cup of water
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Combine spices, tomato paste and water into the crock pot and whisk to combine.  Do not add the yogurt, chicken or cream yet.


Layer the chicken over the mixture and season generously with salt and pepper.  Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 8. 

Before you are ready to serve, add the yogurt and the cream.  Cook rice to package directions.  Serve over rice.


Makes great leftovers although there was very little left because my husband loved it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...