Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chicken Slouvaki...with a twist

I love Greek and Mediterranean food but my husband thinks he hates it.  So, I made Chicken Slouvaki but told him it was with an Indian twist and he bought it hook, line and sinker.  Not to mention, he loved it.  Well, actually, what he said was "you can make this again" which is as good as "I love it" to my ears.  I did love it!  The only real change that I made was subbing fresh Indian naan bread for the pitas.  And man, what a good idea that was!


Chicken Souvlaki (with a twist)

What you'll need:
1 pkg chicken breast tenderloins
plain or garlic naan bread (1 per serving)
1/2 cup feta cheese
3 cups of lettuce, chopped (I used romaine)

What you'll need for the marinade:
1 small bunch of mint chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
dash of red chili flakes
zest and juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon of ground coriander seeds
1 tablespoon tumeric
1 tablespoon cumin
1 cup plain greek style yogurt (I used fat free)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

What you'll need for the dressing:
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
zest and juice of one lemon
1 cup plain greek style yogurt (I used fat free)

What you'll do:
Marinate the chicken in a large plastic ziplock bag over night in all of the marinade ingredients mixed together.

Set the chicken out while the grill heats up.  Meanwhile, mix up the dressing and refrigerate that until serving. 


Chop the lettuce and set aside along with the feta. 

Grill the chicken until cooked through. 


Grill the naan until warm and toasty.  Set up an assembly line to put it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...