Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Absolute Favorite Thing about Fall: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Roasted pumpkin seeds are one of my all time favorite things.  And I think it makes them even more tasty since I only get them once a year.  It is something my mom always used to do for us after my dad helped us carve the pumpkins.  It is a tradition I want to keep with my kids one day.

I'm not going to lie and say it isn't a lot of work - not difficult, just a lot of work.  But I look at it kind of like eating crabs - it is a ton of work but so worth it in the end!

Here's what you do for delicious roasted pumpkin seeds.

1. Get yourself a good assistant.


2.  Harvest the seeds.  I am going to attempt something new with my pumpkins this year so I emptied them from the bottom but you can do it from the top as well. 

I like to use two different containers so that you separate the seeds from the pulp.  If I were a better person I would've made a pie or something with the pulp but I didn't have it in me this weekend.




3. Soak the pumpkin seeds in water.  The pumpkin seeds will rise to the top and most of the remaining pulp attached to them will sink to the bottom.




4.  Spread your pumpkin seeds on paper towels to dry.  Pick out any other big pieces of pulp. 



5. Lay out pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet in a thin layer. 



6.  Sprinkle liberally with salt and olive oil. 

7. Roast in a 375 degree oven until nice and browned and crispy.  Your house will smell divine!



8.  Enjoy!  These will keep for about a week in an airtight container and make a wonderful snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...