Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday Tip: Measuring Tricks

Okay, so I ganked 98% of this from my girl Martha.  But everybody knows we are like THIS so I don't think she'll mind.  Anyways, she's my idol (except for that whole insider trading, jail time thing - a blip on the radar of her amazingness, really).  The other two percent came from, surprisingly enough, the hubby.

Let's say you are out shopping and you find something really amazing and you don't have a measuring tape with you (this tip is clearly not applicable to me since I would never not have a measuring tape in my purse at all times!).  That's cool, you can use some other ideas to measure:

1.  Your foot.  If you aren't trying to be exact, I'll sometimes count it out to roughly, you guessed it, a foot.  But for exact purposes, according to Martha, "a man's size 10 1/2 shoe is about a foot long. A woman's size 8 is about 10 inches. Using the length of your shoe, you can measure a rug by traversing it heel to toe. For longer distances, count strides (to determine the length of your stride, walk through a puddle so you'll make footprints, and measure the distance between them)."

2.  A dollar bill.  (This was the one my husband knew about and actually used it against me in an argument about the length of my hair that looks like sh*t because he insists he prefers it long.)  Anywho, a dollar bill is 6 inches long and 2 and a half inches in height. 


3. A credit card.  The typical plastic in your wallet is 2 by 3 1/2 inches.  Yeah, I probably wouldn't remember that.



4. A quarter.  Again, blame Martha if this doesn't work.  "It's about an inch in diameter, and its edge, rolled in a straight line, measures 3 inches (start and end with Washington's profile facing the same direction)."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...