Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tuesday Tip: Timing Mashed Potatoes


One of my favorite foods (unfortunately for my waist line) is mashed potatoes.  I could eat them with every meal.  I don't, thankfully.  But this weekend we did cook mashed potatoes (roasted garlic ones that were delish!) which reminded me of this trick I learned from Tyler Florence when watching the Food Network

One of the hardest things for me in cooking is getting the timing right for everything.  I usually feel like a maniac right before trying to get everything to the table.  I've gotten better at it but mashed potatoes feel extremely difficult.  There's nothing worse than a cold, sticky mashed potato.  Tyler's trick is this:

Fix your mashed potatoes as the receipt calls for or as you noramlly would.  Top with a lid.  Right before you are ready to serve, add about half a cup of reserved liquid (milk, cream, whatever) and mash that in.  It will bring them back to life and the lid helps keep the heat in.  They'll be ready to eat when you are ready to serve. 

Image from myrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...