Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Warm Grilled Chicken Salad with Buttermilk Avocado Dressing

Our weekly salad night is turning out to be one of my favorite dinner nights each week.  The dressing inspiration came from a BHG succotash salad recipe.  I tweaked it so I could make sure my husband would eat it.  Our guest was wild about it and made it just two nights later for her family!

What You'll Need:
3-4 chicken breasts
low fat Italian dressing
salt and pepper
1 avocado
buttermilk
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 ears corn
1-2 heads of butter lettuce
1 cup of blue cheese, crumbled
handful of slivered almonds
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced tomatoes (I used romas)

What You'll Do:
Marinate the chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag with the Italian dressing.  Do this at least overnight if not for two nights.  Grill the chicken.  At the same time, grill the corn.  I pull out the silk but leave the husk on and put the corn right on the grill.  It cooked in the same time the chicken did.

While you have the grill going, set up the salad.  Tear the bib lettuce.  Add in the blue cheese, onion, almonds and tomatoes and set aside.

Make the dressing:
In the blender add the diced avocado, 2 garlic cloves (I diced mine before I tossed them in), buttermilk, dry mustard, onion powder and salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth.

Dress the salad and mix in.

My husband refuses to eat red onions so I had to fix a plate for him separately which is why the dressing isn't mixed in.


In a large bowl for me and my company, I topped everything off with the dressing and then mixed it in (see next pic) and served.


Deelish!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...