Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not So Cajun Chicken



Anyone who knows me well knows this is my favorite dish of all time. Don't ask why. I think it reminds me of my childhood because we ate at this joint about once a week growing up. Crowley's in Raleigh, NC is not an upscale restaurant but more of a dark pub/bar. But it is still around after all these years so they must be doing something right.

It's not spicy but it has great flavor from the cajun spices. For years we have tried to recreate this recipe. My dad tried to do it for me several times. But it was never exactly the same. After multiple botched attempts, about three years ago I was home for Christmas and asked the waitress if I could speak to the chef about it. He was so nice and wrote down the recipe for me. I've tried using the ranch dressing and the hot sauce he calls for in the sauce multiple times but it just doesn't work when I do it.

So, since I live in Alexandria and need my "Not so" fix (as I fondly refer to it) more often than the one or two times a year I'm home in Raleigh, I've concocted my own version of this dish. My husband says mine is better but it still doesn't stop me from ordering it everytime I go to Raleigh.

Cameron's Not So Cajun Chicken

1 pkg chicken tenderloins
1 cup uncooked rice
1/3 cup of McCormick's Cajun Seasoning
1 container of creme fraiche
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp blackening seasoning
sugar snap peas
2 Tbsp olive oil

Season the tenderloins with salt and pepper and blackening seasoning. Heat olive oil in a large pan. Cook the tenderloins - usually about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the tenderloins from the pan and set aside.

Add the creme fraiche, sour cream, and cajun seasoning to the pan that you cooked the chicken in. Simmer over low heat and stir ingredients together. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and return into the pan with the cajun sauce mixture. Serve over rice with steamed sugar snap peas.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering when this would appear on here. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...