Monday, October 6, 2014

Indian Spiced Chili


In keeping with my fall theme, I decided to make a pot of chili this week.  Frankly, my husband has the market cornered on chili in this house...he always makes it better than I do so I might as well let him do it his way (plus, it is one less meal for me to have to prepare!).  I saw a recipe in BHG recently for Indian Masala Chili.  This is my slightly adapted version of that recipe. 

Warning - this dish is spicy! The combo of Indian spices and jalapeno gives it a kick.  But, the Greek yogurt and cilantro on top really cool it down and the chili was excellent and a nice change of pace.

What You'll Need:
1 pound of ground beef
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed (note - do this with a knife and not your fingers if you want to avoid the mistake I made!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 Tbsp Indian Masala Spice Mix
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp cumin
1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 cup beef broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
plain Greek yogurt
chopped fresh chilantro

What You'll Do:
In a large saucepan, cook beef until browned.  Drain fat and remove beef and set aside. 

In the same pot, add olive oil and onion, carrot, jalapeno, garlic and ginger and cook about 5 minutes or until soft.  Add spices and cook another minute.  Add tomatoes and cook for five more minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add beef back in along with chick peas, beef broth, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for approximately 45 minutes. 

Top with Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro (or shredded cheddar cheese if you are my husband).  The BHG recipe also suggested serving with Granny Smith apple slices.  I didn't have a Granny Smith apple but it sounds tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...