The other really exciting part of my trip to AmericasMart in Atlanta was getting to see three of my favorite bloggers in person!
Heather Clawson of Habitually Chic, Maxwell Gilingham-Ryan of Apartment Therapy, and Christiane Lemieux of DwellStudio presented on: Daily Design: How the Everyday Inspirations from Blogs Change the Industry.
It was a helpful discussion and gave me some really good ideas about blogging. A few take away points that hit home to me were as follows:
1. Be authentic. Don't try to be someone else - just be yourself.
2. Be who you are and be consistent. Pick a topic/style and stick with it.
3. Don't try to get creative with your post titles (something I am guilty of). Search engines will find you better if you state exactly what the point of your post is. Use keywords.
4. Post regularly - you don't have to come up with unique content every day but you do need to be consistent so that people know you are there. You can point people to other interesting information that someone else has written on days that your creative juices aren't in full flow.
5. Brevity is better. You are not writing a novel or a dissertation - pictures can tell much of your story and you can just give a few sentences describing them.
Thanks to all the panelists for a great presentation! They were also doing a book signing but since I had already received the books for Christmas and had them at home, I decided not to buy them over again.