Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Beef and Vegetable Soup

My grandmother, MawMaw, was the queen of vegetables.  If she were still here and cooking those veggies for me everyday, I'm quite sure I could live as a vegetarian.  They were just so good.  But when she only had a small amount of different types of vegetables leftover, she would make vegetable soup.  She had one of those old stoves that had a place for the pot to fit down into the top of the oven and she'd let it simmer all day long.

I took a cue from her to use up some of my different leftovers I had in my fridge - hence the name, Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup.  You could modify this soup to use whatever you have on hand.  Some other additions besides what I used below might include corn, lima beans, tomatoes, broccoli, and peas.

What You'll Need:
1 pound stew beef (you could also use chicken, ground beef, or go solo-veggies)
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
4 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 zucchini squash, diced
1 cup green beans
5 medium russet potatoes, diced
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
2 32 ounce containers of beef broth
1 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste

What You'll Do:
Heat olive oil in a large pot.  Brown onion and beef together.  Season generously with salt and pepper.  Add garlic, carrots and celery and continue to brown for about five more minutes.  Add potatoes, cabbage, zucchini, and green beans.  Season again with salt and pepper.  Stir in beef broth.  Let simmer for about 2 hours until all of the veggies are softened.  Add in the red wine and simmer for another 20 minutes.  Do a taste test and add additional salt and pepper if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...